A page for notes, links and resources related to research on data portals – including related to article on “What do data portals do? Tracing the politics of online devices for making data public”. Contact me for other materials or details
- GitHub as Transparency Device in Data Journalism, Open Data and Data Activism co-convened with Liliana Bounegru and Stefania Milan at Digital Methods Summer School 2015
- “What Do Data Portals Do?” co-convened with Sabine Niederer at the Digital Methods Winter School 2017, where I gave a talk on digital methods and data infrastructures alongside keynotes from Geoffrey Bowker and Shannon Mattern
- “What do data portals do? Tracing the politics of public information infrastructures on the web” talk at Data Publics conference, Lancaster University, April 2017
- Is this Open Data Portal accessible? co-convened by Guillén Torres and Jeroen de Vos at the Digital Methods Summer School 2017
- Data portal explorer tool (repository, code and documentation) conceptualised and developed with Jose Miguel Monteiro Vieira.
- data.gov.uk at 1 year/second (2009-2022) (video)
- data not found - a dataset of datasets that were sought but not found on data portals around the world (from research for my Data Worlds book)
- selection of national open data portals (figshare dataset) and interface features of a selection of national open data portals (figshare dataset)
Related links and resources:
- dataportals.org - a list of data portals around the world
- wayback machine - for past captures of data portal interfaces
- wirify bookmarklet - for “reverse wireframing” data portal interfaces
- color extraction tool from TinEye labs for colour analysis of data portal interfaces
- imagemagick - for creating composites images of data portal interfaces
- ffmpeg - for compositing screenshot playbacks of data portal interface captures from wayback machine
- pandas - for analysis of data portal metadata
- openrefine - for cleaning and analysis of data portal metadata
- gephi - for network analysis of relations between portals and themes, apps and tags, etc.
- raw graphs - for visualisation of data portal software repositories, data topics, etc.