- Gray, J., Bounegru, L. & Chambers, L. (2012) The Data Journalism Handbook. Sebastopol, CA: O’Reilly Media.
- Translated into Arabic, Chinese, Czech, French, Georgian, Greek, Italian, Macedonian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish and Ukranian.
- “A great practical start” – BBC Academy.
- “A unique journalistic collaboration” – The Guardian.
- “An excellent book” – Knight Digital Media Center, University of Southern California.
- “Inspiring and educational” – ReadWrite.
- “Immensely valuable… read it now” – Significance magazine of The Royal Statistical Society and The American Statistical Association.
- “An excellent introduction” – Statistics Norway.
Peer-Reviewed Articles and Book Chapters
- Gray, J., Bounegru, L., Milan, S. & Ciuccarelli, P. (2016) “Ways of Seeing Data: Towards a Critical Literacy for Data Visualisations as Research Objects and Research Devices”. In Sebastian Kubitschko and Anne Kaun (eds.), Innovative Methods in Media and Communication Research. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Bounegru, L., Venturini, T., Gray, J., Jacomy, M. (2016) “Narrating Networks: Exploring the Affordances of Networks as Storytelling Devices in Journalism”, Digital Journalism. DOI: 10.1080/21670811.2016.1186497
- Borgesius, F., Gray, J. & van Eechoud, M. (2016) “Open Data, Privacy and Fair Information Principles: Towards a Balancing Framework”, The Berkeley Technology Law Journal. 30: 3.
- Lawson, S., Gray, J. & Mauri, M. (2016) “Opening the Black Box of Scholarly Communication Funding: A Public Data Infrastructure for Financial Flows in Academic Publishing”. Open Library of Humanities. 2(1), p.e10. DOI: 10.16995/olh.72
- Goldacre, B. & Gray, J. (2016) “Open Trials: Towards a Collaborative Open Database of All Available Information on All Clinical Trials”. Trials. 2016. 17:164. DOI: 10.1186/s13063-016-1290-8
- Gray, J. & Davies, T. (2015) “Fighting Phantom Firms in the UK: From Opening Up Datasets to Reshaping Data Infrastructures?”. Manuscript submitted for publication. Working paper available at: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2610937
- Gray, J. (2014) “Towards a Genealogy of Open Data”. In preparation. Working paper available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2605828
- Gray, J. (2012) “Hamann, Nietzsche, and Wittgenstein on the Language of Philosophers”. In Lisa Marie Anderson (ed.), Hamann and the Tradition. Northwestern University Press. Available at: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2407424
- “On Critical Theories and Digital Media”. Review of David Berry’s Critical Theory and the Digital (London: Bloomsbury, 2014) and Christian Fuchs’ Social Media: A Critical Introduction (London: Sage, 2014) for Krisis: Journal of Contemporary Philosophy.
- Review of Martin Eve’s Open Access and the Humanities: Contexts, Controversies and the Future (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2014) for LSE Review of Books, 7th November 2014.
- “The Snowden Files: so much more than state surveillance” – a review of Luke Harding’s The Snowden Files: The Inside Story of the World’s Most Wanted Man for OpenDemocracy, 6th February 2014.
Press Articles and Essays
- “How Could a Global Public Database Help to Tackle Corporate Tax Avoidance?”, Open Democracy, 17th February 2017
- “Let me count the ways” – Ellen Miller, Co-Founder, Sunlight Foundation
- “Datafication and Democracy”, Juncture, 21st December 2016
- “‘Let us Calculate!’: Leibniz, Llull, and the Computational Imagination”, The Public Domain Review, 10th November 2016
- “Nice article on Lull, Leibniz & combinatorics” – Dennis Duncan, British Academy Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Oxford
- “Who will shape the future of the data society?”, cross-posted on LSE Impact Blog, the International Open Data Conference blog and Open Knowledge International blog, 5th October 2016.
- “Lots of good questions in here” – Alex Howard, Senior Analyst, Sunlight Foundation
- “It’s time to stand up to greedy academic publishers” [Note: title chosen by Guardian editorial team], The Guardian, 18th April 2016
- “Making Climate Negotiations Public”, Open Democracy, 9th December 2015
- “A Data Revolution for Whom?”, Open Democracy, 10th July 2015
- “Dutch student protests ignite movement against management of universities”, The Guardian, 17th March 2015
- “Excellent piece” – Andrew McGettigan, Author of The Great University Gamble: Money, Markets and the Future of Higher Education
- “Five ways open data can boost democracy around the world”, The Guardian, 20th February 2015
- “Secret government contracts stop citizens knowing if outsourcing works”, The Guardian, 18th August 2014
- “Secret government contracts undermine our democracies. Let’s stop them”, OpenDemocracy, 27th February 2014.
- “Britain ‘shines light of transparency’ on secret lobbying. Just kidding.”, OpenDemocracy, 28th January 2014.
- “Mapping the Cultural Commons”, Cblog, French Ministry of Culture and Communication, 15th November 2013.
- “Open Government Partnership Should Foster Accountability and Social Justice”, The Guardian, 4th November 2013.
- “Recomposing Scholarship”, London School of Economics ‘Impact of Social Sciences’ Blog, 25th October 2013.
- “Good piece on what matters” – Mary Margaret McCabe, Professor of Ancient Philosophy, King’s College London
- “The Genius and the Soil: Open Access and the Politics of Information”, Red Pepper, April-May 2013 (Issue 189).
- “The Future of Memory”, The Junket, 16th July 2012
- “What Data Can and Cannot Do”, The Guardian, 31st May 2012.
- “On Archiving Everything: Borges, Calvino, Google”, OWNI.eu, 25th August 2011.